Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rochester, NY - Where my journey into food began


We all have certain pivotal moments in life, experiences which change us greatly and experiences which change us whether for better or worst. and as hard headed as us chefs are we have all experienced those life changing moments which define us.

Mine happened when I was a marketing student in Rochester, NY. It was my 21st birthday, I had just moved to Rochester, had no friends in town and my family Singapore would be fast asleep at the time; So I switched on the TV and flipped to the Food Network Channel and started watching it, I became addicted to say the least. While not all program on the network are perfect, the channel contains enough culinary know-how and concepts to inspire just about everyone.

I took these photos days before I left Rochester. I should have taken photos in this beautiful city.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d always had a keen interest in food and cooking, and I’d even wanted to go to culinary school instead of studying marketing. But I never had any clear direction as to how I would do that or how I could develop the necessary skills; So while other students were out partying or chilling out I would be at home watching the food network, baking bread from scratch, experimenting with salad dressings and a little molecular gastronomy.
More scenes from Rochester

When I was done at Rochester, I moved down to New York City and started work as a marketing consultant only to find alot more culinary adventures in the city that never sleeps.

Needless to say, I didn’t have much of a normal college life nor did I have a very normal 21st birthday; but they were both very special and they are both experiences which have and will define my choices in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...